14 apr. 2010

Silence your heart

Have you ever been in a movie theater and heard someone say, "Quiet, please"? I have. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a time or two they were talking to me! God has had to say "Quiet, please" to me many times. I tend to be a pretty fast-paced, focused individual. I constantly have to remember to slow down and walk with God, not miles ahead.

I have a little sign on my computer that reads, "God will speak when you stop." Only when I silence my heart can I seek God with any hope of understanding what He is trying to reveal to me. The Bible says, " Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act" (Psalm 37:7a, NLT). The practice of being silent is not easily learned, but it's essential if we are to worship and walk with God effectively. We need to take the time on a daily basis to be still before God.

John Ortberg writes, "Again and again, as we pursue spiritual life, we must do battle with hurry. For many of us the great danger is not that we will renounce our faith. It is that we will become so distracted and rushed and preoccupied that we will settle for a mediocre version of it."

For me, the words be still create a mental image of focusing on God in complete peace and relaxation. With distractions, busy schedules, and multiple issues of life all vying for our attention, however, the reality is that being still before God actually requires serious concentration on our part.

Though it may sound odd, I have learned to practice what I call "flushing my mind" (the act of writing all down everything that is swirling in my mind so I can come back to it later) to help me slow down and get to a state of inner silence. We all need to eliminate whatever is wasting out time and energy. I recommend regular "flushing". Whatever it takes for you to learn to slow down and silence yourself before God, do it.
(Erik Rees - S.H.A.P.E - pag. 212 - 213) 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu